[MPlayer-users] Compiling & CPU detection

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Thu Mar 27 15:33:31 CET 2008

Hi,

On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:24, ClapClap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get MPlayer well optimized for my architecture.
> I'm using a Core2Duo which is normally considering as prescott
> architecture with GCC but the configure script take it as a
> pentium-m, without SSE3.
>
> How can I force the configure to use only my GCC args ?
> I'd like to compile mplayer with "-march=prescott
> -mtune=prescott -msse3 -mfpmath=sse,387".
> The configure script say that if I change OPT_FLAGS, MPlayer
> will not compile...

1) If you want to change CFLAGS, do this. MPlayer will use them.

2) ./configure doesn't say "MPlayer will not compile" it says "may
not compile", i.e. do it on your own risk without any comlains.

3) Use modern version of gcc. First of all it supports
-march=native, which means that gcc will select architecture
automatically for current host, gcc >= 4.2.0 supports native
target. Or use gcc >= 4.3.0. It has core2 target, just for your
CPU, and it has some new sweet optimizations.