[MPlayer-users] help! mplayer crashes linux

Brian Mueller neutrino78x at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 22:22:24 CET 2008

I am using MPlayer 1.0pre8-Fedora-GS-4.1.1
Fedora Core 5.

ok, normally I have no issues with mplayer, but it seems that whenever I play a high definition quicktime file, it will open a window as if it is starting to play it, then the whole screen will go blank. I can't switch to another virtual terminal in Linux, nor can I reboot the machine with Control-Alt-Delete. I have to turn off the machine and turn it back on!

for example, if I go here

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/hd/

and do View Page Source, and find the link for the 720p trailer,

http://movies.apple.com/movies/paramount/iron_man/iron_man-tlr2_720p.mov

If I feed that URL to mplayer it has the effect I described. Same effect if I download the whole file as available on various web sites.

So...what's causing that, and is there any way I can fix it??? I normally have a Windows installation on this PC, but not right now as it has problems, so Free Software is my only option  to play these files for now :)

--Brian, 30 male, "Silicon Valley", USA