[MPlayer-users] A question about patented codecs

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 07:57:07 CET 2008

--- Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:01:56AM -0500, Jing Min
> Zhao wrote:
> > Sam,
> >
> > Yes, I thought of a similar way, but didn't have
> the "accepting licensing
> > agreement" part. Thank you for your great idea!
>
> Any requirement to "accept a licensing agreement" is
> legally dubious.
>
> Rich

Well I haven't bothered with proprietary codecs in a
long time, and some distros make their installation
transparent, so you don't even see the license.  I do
recall Suse opening license pages when I wanted to
install a proprietary codec long ago, and I'm not sure
if they still do that.

I just checked out the helixcommunity website, and it
doesn't look like you're forced to accept an agreement
after all.

Sam