[MPlayer-users] m4a meta data

Christopher Reder CReder at digitalcpt.com
Mon Jun 9 18:47:53 CEST 2008

> On Monday 09 June 2008 18:25:12 Christopher Reder wrote:
> > Is there a flag or some other setting for mplayer such that I can
> > use it in slave mode to retrieve the meta data (title, artist,
> > album) of a m4a file?  I can retrieve it from a mp3 file, but not
> > m4a.  I looked via google and saw that there is a different
> > structure for m4a in atom type format, but wondered if there was a
> > switch or library needed to make them readable.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.

> if by m4a you mean mov or mp4 then IIRC at least
> the lavf demuxer should retrieve and show those properties

Yes, I was speaking of a mp4 audio file.  I would like to use the slave mode of mplayer to send it a "get_meta_artist" command and have it retrieve the artist info from the m4a file (file originally made by iTunes).  The following is the output I get trying the lavf (perhaps I am using this incorrectly?)  I want to retrieve Norah Jones from this...

Thanks
Christopher

root at dci:/media/sda1/Norah Jones/Come Away with Me$ mplayer -demuxer lavf -slave
 -quiet -ao alsa:device=hw=0.1 01\ Don\'t\ Know\ Why.m4a
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM

Playing 01 Don't Know Why.m4a.
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 0
Forced audio codec: mad
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio) decoder)
AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
get_meta_artist
ANS_META_ARTIST=''