[MPlayer-users] Is it bug, or my linux OS (sound/video drivers) misconfiguration ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jul 27 20:14:43 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 09:59:06PM +0400, Igor wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >Tell us which audio output ("AO") MPlayer uses. Or just give us the
> >_full_ MPlayer output when playing the file (it contains that
> >information among others, you don't need to include the status line
> >information (the one starting with "A:") ).

> AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Connection refused
> AO: [oss] 16000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)

There is indeed something wrong in your setup. While I do not _know_ if
it is indeed the issues, I would try
1) -ao oss
2) comment out any ao=... line from the MPlayer config files (e.g. in
.mplayer/config or /etc/mplayer/config)
3) remove pulseaudio as completely from your system as you can.

The reason for 3) is that the message "*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to
connect: Connection refused" is not from MPlayer, thus it must be from
the pulseaudio library, meaning two things:
1) A library printing messages directly to stdout IMO is usually a sign
of bad coding practices. While borderline acceptable for a GUI library
like GTK, it is IMO unacceptable for an audio library.
2) It also means that this is an old pulseaudio version, which I
personally think were all full of bugs.

So personally I think you won't be any worse off without it, though it
can't hurt to write down which packages you are removing so you can undo
it again.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger