[MPlayer-users] Any way to get Xv playback without tearing on fglrx?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Jul 25 11:38:47 CEST 2008

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>  On 2008.07.24 at 05:05:24 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote next:
>> OK, I've completely upgraded X, kernel 2.6.26 (needed for r500 DRM) and
>> xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 plus all needed dependencies (Mesa and stuff,
>> including dri2).  Fortunately, the stuff is already in Gentoo's repo
>> (marked as testing/unstable) so installation was automatic.
>> I get OK 3D support now and 2D is orders of magnitude faster than fglrx.
>> I guess that's win :)
>>
>> Bad news, still tearing with videos :P  xvinfo now says:
>
> Yep. No one promised no tearing ;)
>
>> gl doesn't work at all.  Currupted screen and mplayer says:
>>
>>    do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working
>>    correctly.
>>    Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
>
> Um.. Maybe Reimar would be able to help you with that, if you provide
> more details? Using mplayer -vo gl with opensource driver is really a
> way to go.

I've got many things working now.  I'm currently in compiz-fusion with a
crapload of effects enabled with the open source driver :P  It even
works better in some places than fglrx (for example having the "wobbling
windows" effect active with fglrx results in a big delay when
maximizing/de-maximizing windows; now it's immediate with 0 delay).

mplayer -vo gl2 works.  *BUT* the open source driver cannot do vsync for
OpenGL yet (lol).

Anyway, X1000 owners should check out this driver if they can!  I'm not
going back to fglrx.  Nothing hangs here; fullscreen YouTube works,
switching VTs works, compiz-fusion runs... it's a very decent driver
even though r500 support is labeled "experimental".  It works better for
me than fglrx.  I hope for opengl vsync for the next release :P