[MPlayer-users] Any way to get Xv playback without tearing on fglrx?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jul 23 16:30:23 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, 23 July 2008 at 09:28, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Reimar Döffinger!
>
>  On 2008.07.23 at 07:06:57 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:
>
> > > 4) use -vo gl:yuv=2:swapinterval=1:force-pbo:ati-hack
> >
> > Just a short note: for me, using vo gl with latest ATI always results
> > in a completely garbled screen after switching back from fullscreen.
> > I do not have any special options in the xorg config btw., but I will
> > try some of yours.
>
> For me, too (with 8.7 and 8.6, used to work with 8.5). No, these options
> won't help. I tried a few other, but wasn't able to solve that.
>
> Can you tell me though if the bug was present on 8.5 on your system? If
> it was, maybe it can be solved. Because starting with 8.6, I'm using
> different method of installing driver. Now GL applications load directly
> libGL from fglrx. Earlier they used to load libGL from Mesa (I don't
> actually understand how it worked, maybe some kind of proxy mode in
> mesa, but DRI was working and vendor was "ATI"). There were a few
> downsides (e.g.  compiz wasn't working), but no garbled screen bug.
>
> > I do have a HD4850 though (I still intend to do some GPU computing on
> > it, but after it now good completely evident that ATI drivers are as
> > horrible as ever I have some doubts if I actually would _want_ to leave
> > any calculations to it...)
>
> Do you actually need to have fglrx driver for using calculations api?
> Developers promise that accelerated 2D and 3D on HD3xxx/HD4xxx cards
> with open source drivers is near (a few months or so).

I'm sure the radeonhd Xorg driver folks could use some testing on such
high-end cards. I'm currently using radeonhd snapshot from 20080713 on
a HD2600 card and it works acceptably for office work. I doesn't have
XVideo or 3D acceleration yet, though, but DRI is already here.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org