[MPlayer-users] Make the video window frameless

Tue Jul 22 20:06:08 CEST 2008

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2008.07.22 at 19:16:14 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > Find out how to tell your window manager to not add decorations to the
> > window. This is specific to the window manager, and is not an MPlayer
> > issue.

Obviously it's not true. While it's easy in some WMs (e.g. in
windowmaker you only need a few clicks to create permanent noborder
configuration for mplayer), it's hard to do this in others, like
metacity. You don't rely on wm/user interaction for such feature;
instead, you should rely on wm/application interaction. Mplayer should
set correct hints for making borderless windows (like xmms or audacious
do) and hope that wm cares about these hints. Mostly they do (I don't
think you can have borderless window in twm or something).

Actually, mplayer does exactly that in fullscreen mode
(vo_x11_decoration, x11_common.c)

> Well, before that it would make sense to at least try -noborder before
> ;-)

Doesn't work (at least in metacity). And what's with that "Supported by the
directx video output driver" in man page?

--

Vladimir