[MPlayer-users] rec for wnXP

Adam ahcnz at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jul 15 17:37:14 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 10:44 pm, The Wanderer wrote:
> Adam wrote:

> >> Pentium III, Pentium IV,
> >>
> >> Take a  look here. See what you like.
> >> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#windows
> >
> > I grabbed the one from the top of the list;
> >
> > MPlayer on win32  by  Gianluigi Tiesi
> > http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
> > MPlayer-p4-svn-27081.7z
> >
> > There are no Win specific instructions with that package.
> >
> > When I unpack, I notice the codecs directory is empty.
>
> This should not be directly relevant. That directory is exclusively for
> the binary codecs (DLLs) which provide support for formats not yet
> supported by open-source code.
>
> > Although -vo help outputs a short list of things. See below.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what this is supposed to have to do with the
> codecs directory...?
>
> > When I try to play a dvd, I get various failures. So have not been
> > able to play one yet.  Depending on the contents of the conf file, it
> > either plays the dvd intro poorly first, then stops. Or plays only
> > audio and no video.
> >
> > Presently my conf file contains,
> > quiet=yes
> > msgcolor=yes
> > dvd-device=e:
> > cache=8192
> > ao=win32      # which improved matters greatly
> > vf=pp,eq,spp,scale
> > # variations on vf= makes slight changes, but none plays.
> >
> > My Intel P4 machine has a twinhead Matrox Millenium G550 card,
> > working at 1024x768 pixels. The one-page manual says that that should
> > work with -vo mga_vid
>
> Which manual? The one for the card?

The one-page MPlayer.html.  But around VIDIX in 8.15.3  so it
seems I've mis-read.

> TTBOMK, mga_vid is a Linux kernel driver module, and therefore will not
> and cannot work on Windows. In any case, mga_vid is not enabled in the
> build you have.
>
> > So must I install a Win version of that codec in codecs ?
>
> mga_vid is a video-output method, not a codec. I'm fairly sure there is
> no Windows version of it. Regardless, to enable a new video-output
> method (i.e. one not listed in '-vo help') you have to recompile.
>
> > I unpacked the file win32codecs-20040703.tar.bz2  into codecs, but
> > perhaps mga_vid is in the win-essential-codecs pack ?
>
> Nope - as before, it's a VO method, not a codec.
>
> Try '-vo directx'.

Many thanks!

Well, I find   -vo directx   works fine for VOB files on the hard-drive.

One commercial dvd disk still doesn't play past its rough intro at
the start. Seems I was stuck trying that problem disk first.
Here's what it said;

MPlayer Sherpya-SVN-r27081-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Playing dvd://.
There are 13 titles on this DVD.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
number of subtitles on disk: 0

Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  3.42% (286720 bytes)
Cache fill: 10.94% (917504 bytes)
Cache fill: 18.36% (1540096 bytes)
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 2)  25.000 fps  9000.0 kbps (1125.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmpeg2] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-2)
Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 224.0 kbit/14.58% (ratio: 28000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
AO: [win32] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
a52: CRC check failed!
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [directx] 720x576 => 768x576 Planar YV12
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 1215 DC, 1215 AC, 1215 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 675 DC, 675 AC, 675 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 1080 DC, 1080 AC, 1080 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 540 DC, 540 AC, 540 MV errors
a52: CRC check failed!
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 990 DC, 990 AC, 990 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 1260 DC, 1260 AC, 1260 MV errors
a52: CRC check failed!
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 945 DC, 945 AC, 945 MV errors
a52: CRC check failed!
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 810 DC, 810 AC, 810 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 45 DC, 45 AC, 45 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 1080 DC, 1080 AC, 1080 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0pe9a650]concealing 765 DC, 765 AC, 765 MV errors
Exiting... (Quit)

So I'll rip that problem disk to the hd to play.
Other commercial disks so far seem to play fine !

One question I had re this Win version MPlayer, was how
to include spaces in path-names.  I've just found that surrounding
them with quotes works;

mplayer -vo directx C:/aadir/VTS_05_3.VOB
mplayer -vo directx "C:/more dvd files"/VTS_05_3.VOB

So I'll ask, is it possible to direct MPlayer to play a title or titles
by title-number, from a hd directory - rather than only being able
to specify the single VOB file ?

mplayer dvd://2 -dvd-device "C:/more dvd files/dvdname/VIDEO_TS/"
doesn't work, as dvd:// is a device and reports,
Couldn't open DVD device: . . . . . (No such file or directory)
No stream found to handle url dvd://2

So are the two options: play dvd from device (by title-number), or
play single VOB file by filename ?

Making some progress. Thanks.