[MPlayer-users] recording at slow frame rate

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 19:44:05 CEST 2008

Jeremy Sanders wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Have you tried specifying the input FPS as part of the '-tv'
>> option, rather than specifying the output FPS as a separate option?
>
> I've tried doing:
>
> [root at xpc2 ~]# mencoder -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=200 -oac lavc
> -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=128 -vf scale=1024:768 -o out.avi -tv
> driver=v4l:outfmt=bgr24:device=/dev/video0:adevice=/dev/dsp1:forceaudio:fps=5
> -fps 5  tv://

Unless you actually need the output to be at only 5 FPS, the '-fps'
option can probably be omitted. This might even have an effect on your
buffer-overflowing problem, but I don't think it would fix it.

> This worked one time I tried it but failed the second (the video was
> recorded with too low a frame rate) and eventually the buffer was
> overfilled with video.

If you want it to skip incoming frames completely (drop them rather than
queueing them in the buffer), I think there are options for adjusting
the thresholds it uses for deciding when to skip frames, but I don't
remember what those options might be.

> I have no idea why this is so hard... Maybe it's a driver issue and
> Windows would be a better bet.

I suspect it's just a matter of the software not being designed with
this capability in mind. That said, there is something niggling at my
mind which should make it possible...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.