[MPlayer-users] Flash video url not working in mplayer1.0rc2-4.2.3

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 18:50:46 CEST 2008

Paul wrote:

[that the Wanderer wrote:]

>> $ mplayer "http://www.ustream.tv/swf/3/viewer.115.swf?&loc=/&vid=361900"
>> MPlayer dev-SVN-r27138-4.3.1 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
>> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (Family: 15, Model: 107, Stepping: 2)
>> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2
>>
>> Playing http://www.ustream.tv/swf/3/viewer.115.swf?&loc=/&vid=361900.
>> Resolving www.ustream.tv for AF_INET6...
>> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: www.ustream.tv
>> Resolving www.ustream.tv for AF_INET...
>> Connecting to server www.ustream.tv[216.52.240.133]: 80...
>> Cache size set to 320 KBytes
>> Cache fill: 15.00% (49152 bytes)
>> libavformat file format detected.
>> [swf @ 0x882d634]Compressed SWF format not supported
>> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>> libavformat file format detected.
>> [swf @ 0x882d634]Compressed SWF format not supported
>> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>>

>> Exiting... (End of file)
>> ==
>>
>> As this should make obvious, the file is in a format which MPlayer
>> does not support. It probably will eventually, but likely not soon.
>> Till then, you'll need to use another player, or you're out of
>> luck.

(Quoting corrected by hand. Please fix your mailer to quote correctly in
future replies.)

(Also, I find it annoying to need to set the Reply-To header by hand so
as to be sure that your reply will go to the mailing list rather than to
me; is there some reason you have the Reply-To header set to include
your own E-mail address?)

(Also, not directed to you in particular: does anyone have a clue why a
space was changed to a tab in the Subject line of the the post to which
I am responding? I see this happen fairly often, and I'd guess that some
mail client is doing it to somehow work around a line-length limit, but
it still seems insane.)

> Can mencoder/mplayer get the media file, for future playback.

Yes, it can, but in this particular case you don't even need MPlayer for
that purpose; even before trying to play the URL directly, I downloaded
a local copy of the file with the standard utility 'wget'.

> Is it possible to use mencoder to download the file using:
> mencoder "URL" -o temp.swf -ovc copy -oac copy ..." or something?

No, because to copy the streams in a file would require demuxing the
file, which is exactly what is preventing playback. To obtain an exact
unmodified copy of a file, use MPlayer with the '-dumpstream' option.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.