[MPlayer-users] mplayer vs. gmplayer config files

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:12:32 CET 2008

Hi,

I am using the latest version of mplayer available with Ubuntu gutsy (7.10).
I normally use mplayer (as gmplayer) to watch .avi and other video files,
but Mplayer had trouble playing DVDs..

If I opened a DVD from gmplayer I got a bunch of error messages - that it
the screen seems to 'stutter' as many error messages appear one after the
other, saying "frame sync error". However, oddly enough if I start the DVD
from the commandline with mplayer (not gmplayer) it opens and plays just
fine. I looked at the config files and figured that the
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf looked similar to /home/user/.mplayer/gui.conf.  I
figured maybe the latter file was at fault, so renamed it and made a new
soft link to the mplayer.conf file. Now it seems to work properly.

I am just wondering how mplayer SHOULD be set up. Why would there be
different but equivalent config files for mplayer and gmplayer? Is my quick
hack the best way to set up mplayer?

Craig