[MPlayer-users] Stupid "programmer" tricks

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jan 16 19:11:58 CET 2008

Hello,
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:01:56AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:10:18AM -0500, john q public wrote:
> > A while back (12-20-07) I tried to build rc2. As a LFS user I was bit
> > disturbed by the
> > "your distro is old" type replies to failed builds. It so happens my
>
> I suspect the intended meaning was not "your distro is too old" but
> rather "your system is seriously non-posix-conformant and we're not
> going to bend over backwards to add workarounds when you can just fix
> your system instead".

Actually from my point of view it was more a problem of me saying that
the system headers are completely broken and to ask for an update from
the distro (no, this kind of thing does not need a whole distro upgrade,
just most likely one single updated package), to which someone replied
that this won't work since the distro is too old and no longer supported
_by those who created it_.
At which point I concluded it isn't worth searching for a workaround for
a bug in something that does not even get security updates anymore.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger