[MPlayer-users] Playing FLV: A/V delay

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 00:26:21 CET 2008

Kilian Evang wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to play FLV files downloaded from YouTube via keepvid.com,
>  but the picture is horribly delayed compared to audio.
> -hardframedrop doesn't help, and using -/+ to tweak A/V delay doesn't
> seem to have any effect.

Just about every FLV file I've ever downloaded from YouTube (et al.) has
been slightly out of sync, at least from the perspective of MPlayer.
I've always been able to correct it with enough fiddling around with the
-delay option; sometimes at least (in fact, I think all of the time), it
has required negative delay values, but I've been able to get it working
right nonetheless. (The +/- keys are supposed to adjust the -delay
parameter on the fly - though which corresponds to which direction is
not necessarily obvious - but they don't always seem to do it, and even
when they do I have found that it is so difficult to find the right
value this way that I almost never bother with them anymore.)

In the cases I saw, the delay was less than a second (generally 0.2 to
0.5 seconds) but definitely noticeable. Are you seeing delays larger
than that?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.