[MPlayer-users] A 1:1 rendition, please

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jan 3 15:40:14 CET 2008

Phil Rhodes wrote:
>> His point is that specifying  -monitoraspect 16:9 is a better solution to
>> your problem than forcing the aspect to 1:1 because it will always work
>> regardless of what file you're trying to play.
>
> But it doesn't - it doesn't seem to recognise the aspect ratio flags in
> either flat or widescreen 720x576 PAL AVIs, even though windows media player
> does.
>
> I don't mean to be difficult but people do keep telling me that a certain
> solution is best based on some rather wild assumptions. I tend to use
> mplayer only for rough previews (as the file association on AVIs, for
> instance) and I've reached  the point where I'd much rather just have it
> render square pixels, at least so I can technically QC the footage, rather
> than constantly have to make manual changes for every file I play. If
> mplayer rescales the material I then don't know if the softness is a focus
> problem, a codec problem, or just the cheap rescaling algorithm it uses.
>
> Phil

I think you misunderstand the problem.. (or I'm way over my head)..
assuming you have an lcd monitor, that therefore almost always has
square pixels, try mplayer with -monitorpixelaspect 1.

Note that this does not affect the aspect at which mplayer scales the
movie.  Wide movies will still play wide, and full screen movies will
play the correct size.  The only thing that monitorpixelaspect and
monitoraspect options do is change mplayer's assumptions about your
screen, not your movie!