[MPlayer-users] Twisted picture (line scan or frequency problem?)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Jan 1 14:15:53 CET 2008

On Tuesday, 01 January 2008 at 02:09, jupiter.hce at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am play the mplayer on FC 5, it works fine with some DVDs. But it
> does not work with others, especially for those DVDs I borrowed from
> local libraries (VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB, I guess MPEG2 format). The
> mplayer display a twisted picture with 3 columns repeated the same
> contents and the line flashed.
>
> It seems to me that the problem is related to set up line scan or
> frequency, how can I adjust them?

I'm quite certain it is not. I'm guessing it might be a video driver
problem. See below.

> I tried to use key w and e as
> suggested from the manual, but could not get it work.

Those are for controlling the pan-and-scan function, which is used, for
example, to crop the sides of a 16:9 movie to make it fit a 4:3 display
without black bands. That's a different thing entirely.

> On my command line, I simply called following:
>
> mplayer -fs dvd:////media/disk/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

Although that's probably unrelated, the proper way of playing
DVDs is simply

mplayer dvd://N

where 'N' is an optional title number. The disc doesn't have to be mounted
for playback to work. The above command will assume that /dev/dvd points to
your DVD drive, so either make sure the symlink is correct or use
-dvd-device to specify the correct device manually.

Additionally, your distribution is very old and no longer supported.
I suggest upgrading to at least F7.

As for your playback problem, it's a bit difficult to guess what you're
seeing. I'd suggest trying a different video output driver (say, -vo x11)
and checking if it still happens. If it does, please take a screenshot and
upload it to some public image hosting service, for example imageshack.us.
We will also need the output of
mplayer -v -vo x11 dvd://

Happy New Year! ;)

R.