[MPlayer-users] MPlayer questions

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Fri Feb 29 22:50:41 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have a couple of queries about mplayer usage... I compiled my current
binary from fresh sources a couple of months ago. I have scanned through
the man page, and googled my questions, all to no avail.

1. I'm using JACK audio output. Is there any way that I can reduce the
volume to zero before playback starts? This is *really* important to me.
My sound card has no hardware mixer. My (active studio monitor) speakers
are *sensitive*. The volume controls on my speakers are little trim pots
around the back of the cabinets - it's not feasible to turn them down
before I launch a new file. I don't really want to insert a hardware
mixer between the soundcard output and active speakers - I'd like to
keep the analogue signal path as uncomplicated as possible.

2. I tend to launch mplayer by selecting video files using Konqueror. I
expect that it's nothing to do with mplayer - but does anyone know of a
way I can make a second or third file open in the same instance of
mplayer - or add itself to a playlist?

Thanks,
Michael