[MPlayer-users] some issues with DVDnav

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Feb 6 10:23:29 CET 2008

I already mentioned a problem with DVDNAV and specifying -chapter at the 
beginning, and seems it's taken care of, but since there are other 
things (and I misnamed the other thread), there are two more issues with 
DVDNAV which probably need someone's attention:

if a subtitle is specified and displayed, after a chapter break the 
subtitle will not be displayed anymore. I need to switch through the 
entire subtitle set (with 'j') to get to the same subtitle again in 
order for it to show up again. I don't know the reason for this, but 
what is puzzling is the display of the found subtitles at the beginning, 
it might (?) have something to do with it:

audio stream: 6 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 134.
subtitle ( sid ): 32 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 33 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 34 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 35 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 36 language: es
subtitle ( sid ): 37 language: hr
subtitle ( sid ): 38 language: cs
subtitle ( sid ): 39 language: da
subtitle ( sid ): 40 language: fi
subtitle ( sid ): 41 language: el
subtitle ( sid ): 42 language: iw
subtitle ( sid ): 43 language: no
subtitle ( sid ): 44 language: pl
subtitle ( sid ): 45 language: pt
subtitle ( sid ): 46 language: sl
subtitle ( sid ): 47 language: sv
subtitle ( sid ): 48 language: tr

while DVD shows
audio stream: 6 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 134.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: es
subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: hr
subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: cs
subtitle ( sid ): 7 language: da
subtitle ( sid ): 8 language: fi
subtitle ( sid ): 9 language: el
subtitle ( sid ): 10 language: iw
subtitle ( sid ): 11 language: no
subtitle ( sid ): 12 language: pl
subtitle ( sid ): 13 language: pt
subtitle ( sid ): 14 language: sl
subtitle ( sid ): 15 language: sv
subtitle ( sid ): 16 language: tr

Next: if I play with DVDNAV, I notice a slight (but increasing) AV 
delay. Initially I assumed it had something to do with the chapter 
breaks or something like it, but in checking the output, I noticed 
several a52 CRC errors, something which does (almost) never occur with 
DVD, but is quite regular with DVDNAV (more than a dozen per movie). 
after any of these the A/V sync gets more and more off. Initially I 
thought it had to do with caching (as -nocache is the choice for DVDNAV, 
and I always played with 8MB cache for DVD), but even playing with 
nocache for DVD no such errors occur (and playing with cache and DVDNAV 
is also not working, as seeking won't work amongst other things.)

Something other I noticed (but don't really care) is when playing 
dvdnav:// directly into the menu, and the menu is stereo, the movie 
played will also be in stereo downmix.

And lastly, when playing a movie with dvdnav, at the end the movie does 
not exit, but return to the menu or show the country-specific copyright 
notices or something else... Would be cool if these would only be shown 
when entered via menu, not via direct title access.

That's basically it, would these issues be fixed, I'm sure I could come 
up with new ones, but at this stage pretty everything works just fine.


More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list