[MPlayer-users] [off-topic] Interneeds / 3w

Andres Heinloo andres at gfz-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 1 00:42:15 CET 2008

Hi,

I have a couple of NTSC VHS tapes that I try to convert to some usable
format. My VCR has "60Hz PAL" output (so called "NTSC playback on PAL
TV"), but my capture device wants true NTSC. AFAIK, "60Hz PAL" is similar
to PAL-M used in Brazil, so I was looking for a converter that can convert
PAL-M to NTSC and found the following device for 65 euro:

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/cam700.htm

There were some small misunderstandings with payment and shipping address,
so I exchanged few (friendly) emails with the company. Anyway, finally I
received the package. The device was in a bubble envelope without any
other protection! I shaked the device and it sounded like there were many
loose metal parts inside that were moving around.

In their shipment confirmation, they wrote:

    Please examine your package carefully upon accepting delivery and if
    it looks at all damaged then please sign the postal service sheet
    "packaging damaged or tampered with" or words to that effect. This
    will assist us with making insurance claims should your goods have
    been damaged or interfered with during transit.

OK, so I returned the package.

Today I got the email below. When reading it, I realized that the whole
thing could have been fraud. Maybe the "device" they sent was just a box
with some stuff inside? Damn, I regret so much that I sent it back instead
of opening it and having a look inside!

Of course, it is also possible that the salesperson is a psycho. Or is
this the world famous English humor? Being a Monty Python fan, I did
started to laugh after reading the email. "The rattling sound you heard is
just a small piece of excess plastic inside the box - something which is
quite common." :-D

Finally a couple of questions. Does anybody have experience with this
company? Do any of their devices actually work? Has anybody opened such a
device?

And: Does anybody know a working device for converting "60Hz PAL" to true
NTSC?

Thanks,
Andres.