[MPlayer-users] Q on monitor refresh rate versus fps

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Tue Dec 30 22:32:18 CET 2008

Matyas Sustik wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>>> 2.  Should one sync the refresh rate to the video fps?  (Multiple?)
>> The video driver should do this for you, if it's supported.
>
> So if I play two videos in separate windows requiring different refresh rates
> (have not tried this yet) I wonder how could this work?  I just have no idea
> how I would implement that properly...

Seems to work, I never noticed any issues.  It's magic

>>> 3.  What does mplayer do different when playing the same video source, on
>>> different refresh rate monitors?
>> This is called Vsync, and I believe it should be part of either the xv
>> or gl video output driver.  When working properly vsync should refresh
>> the video frame at an interval timed with the monitor refresh.
>
> If I understand you correctly, the refresh can only be done exactly right if
> the refresh rate is a multiple of the framerate.   By exactly I mean showing
> each movie frame for the same length of time (as intended).

Again, just magic.  The only times I've had trouble with tearing is when
I was cloning my desktop to two monitors, but one had a different
refresh rate, and video on that second monitor would tear.  I was able
to fix it my finessing my xorg.conf file so both screens were being
driven at the same refresh rate.  I've also heard tell of problems with
some generations of ati drivers where vsync wasn't working, but I'm
paraphrasing from my defective memory.