[MPlayer-users] Broken index or headers

Igor Katson descentspb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:05:46 CET 2008

Hello! I want to extract a png image from lots a videofiles. In 80% of
the cases, -vo png does this successfully.
The cmd in this case is

mplayer video.avi -frames 1 -ss 1 -vo png

But there are files with broken index or smth, and -vo png does not
produce any output. Options -idx and -forceidx do not help.

I solve this problem by reencoding the video with ffmpeg (it's quite
little), but when I do this with mencoder, the video is reencoded, but
there is still no out png file.
The cmd in this case  is e.g.
mencoder video.3gp -ovc lavc -nosound -o video.avi  . Tried also -idx,
-forceidx, -of lavf, -ovc xvid and other. Nothing helps. If I choose -of
lavf, I get the following errors:

[mpeg4 @ 0xf8ce80]hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to
guess time_increment_bits
[mpeg4 @ 0xf8ce80]my guess is 1 bits ;)
[mpeg4 @ 0xf8ce80]Error, header damaged or not MPEG4 header (qscale=0)
[mpeg4 @ 0xf8ce80]header damaged
Error while decoding frame!

But the file is still playable.

If I do this with ffmpeg (all the default options), it works flawlessly,
and mplayer extracts the png image nicely.

I want to be able to reencode the video with mencoder, not to build
ffmpeg on the target servers.

Thanks in advance,
Igor Katson

P.S. Mplayer and mencoder are 1.0rc2