[MPlayer-users] MAX_PACK_BYTES default increase?

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 14:59:33 CET 2008

>> When playing back 1080p video on my Linux system, I get numerous "too
>> many video packets in the buffer" console messages and the the a/v
>> can't maintain sync.  This happens with both software decoding and
>> Nvidia VDPAU.  The following patch fixes it.  Can this be changed by
>> default?
>
> The current value is already 8 MB, buffering 134 MB like your change
> does is insane.
> Also why do you think this causes A-V desync? The only reason why
> 8 MB buffer (which btw. even for 50 MBit/s video is enough for more
> than one second) is not enough is when you already have A-V desync,
> so in all cases (except broken files) the underlying issue of
> _both_ desync an "too many video packets in the buffer"
> is a too slow PC.

I've shared this patch with many people on forums who have reported a
large performance increase with HD video.  If increasing the buffer
increases performance, shouldn't it be increased?  If I can find a
lower buffer amount that does away with "too many video packets" and
sync issues, would it be considered as a new default if it is
sufficiently low?

- Grant