[MPlayer-users] Who converts movie frame rate to video frame rate?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 04:38:55 CET 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 04:21:32 +0000
"Bryan Henderson" <giraffedata at gmail.com> wrote:

> In stepping through a DVD movie frame by frame, I noticed there were
> 24 frames in a second.  I always thought part of "DVD authoring" was
> converting that to television frame rate (30).  Is that not so?

No.  Not as such.  The video container includes flags that tell the DVD
player which fields to repeat, when, and how often...  The typical 3:2
pattern.

> Messages mention both a frame rate of 29.97 fps and "24000/1001fps
> progressive NTSC content."  What does that mean?

MPlayer first sees the 29.97fps field set in the header.  Then, after a
few frames, it figures out that there is really only 23.976fps.

> Does Mplayer convert the frame rate at all?

No, not unless you tell it to.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!