[MPlayer-users] Problems with Mplayer

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Dec 8 10:00:38 CET 2008

On Monday, 08 December 2008 at 04:35, JD wrote:
> Turns out that even though the config file is setting vo to xv,
> mplayer uses x11 driver.
> In fact I tried all drivers listed by the command
> mplayer -vo help, except x11, as the driver to use in the config file.
> Mplayer seems to completely ignore the config file setting and uses x11
> driver (which works).
>
> But if I invoke gnome-mplayer, then the setting in the config file seems
> to take effect.
> Thus, with config file set to xv, mplayer ignores it, whereas
> gnome-mplayer extracts it and explicitly passes it as an argument to
> mplayer. This is similar to the behaviour of explicitly specifying -vo
> xv on the command line (i.e. no video is played).

That's because you have two sections (profiles) of settings in your config
file, one [default] and one [gnome-mplayer]. You're changing the setting
in the latter profile, hence only gnome-mplayer uses it. It'd work with
regular mplayer too, if you used -profile gnome-mplayer on the command line.

And please stop top-replying.

Regards,
R.

--