[MPlayer-users] SIGCONT causes fast-forward effect

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun Dec 7 20:59:15 CET 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:29:41 -0800
Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca> wrote:
> <snip>
> I have it
> functioning at the cli but when I start the player (with the same cmd)
> from within the script, a write to the fifo file just hangs and does
> not return. This happens writting to it via script or at cli. Strange.
>
> I'm using this in both cli and script, with $TRACK being the path to
> the flac audio file.
>
> mplayer -slave -input file=/data/cm_temp/mplayer_cmds_fifo -quiet
> ${TRACK} &> /dev/null
>
> echo pause > /data/cm_temp/mplayer_cmds_fifo
>
> Anyway, I really like the FIFO idea, and will work on finding why the
> script-started mplayer is not letting anything write to the fifo.

I fixed the hanging/non-return issue, I can tail the fifo file and it is
being written but not being picked up by mplayer.

It does not seem to matter what I send mplayers stdout/err to (null or
the pipe).

So a little progress anyway. Could the backgrounded while-loop that
mplayer runs in be involved? It does not seem likely, player should
still see the pipe/file.

This is the guts of the loop, I need to send output somewhere to get
control back when I bg it, so I think the 'done' line need to stay as
is.

  while ....
   do
     ${MPLAYER} -slave -input file=/data/cm_temp/mplayer_cmds_fifo \
       -quiet ${TRACK} &> /dev/null
   done < ${PLAY_LIST} &> /dev/null &

-Pete