[MPlayer-users] mplayer dumpstream ends prematurely

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 12:53:18 CEST 2008

augustin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a time limit to the duration of a stream, or does one get
> disconnected automatically after a certain amount of time?

Not to the best of my awareness.

> If this limit is set by the stream server, how can I circumvent it?

By being clever, and/or being willing to lose a small amount of data
from the middle of the stream.

> Example:
> I am listening live to the cspan coverage of the Democratic
> convention.
> http://cspan.org/Watch/C-SPAN_wm.aspx
> The coverage lasts from 3pm to 9pm, i.e. 6 hours, but I get cut after
> 2 or 3 hours:

How big is the resulting file?

What filesystem are you storing it on?

Some filesystems have maximum file size limits which can be somewhat
easily reached when dealing with video. Two or three hours of streaming
video does not seem likely to hit any of those limits, but two or three
hours of high-quality video certainly could.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.