[MPlayer-users] iso images: transparently setting dvd-device

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Aug 13 21:50:39 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, 13 August 2008 at 15:46, p64 at free.fr wrote:
> Hello to all !
>
> mplayer is able to open ISO images of classic media like DVD,VCD...
> so it automatically detects them and knows of their structure.
>
> However, it behaves differently: in "ISO opening mode", DVD subtitles
> are not detected, unless option "dvd-device" is set.
>
> It would be very handy if mplayer automatically set "dvd-device"
> when recognizing ISOs of classical media.

Maybe the dvd[nav]:// syntax could be extended to work similarly
to vcd://track[/device]. You could specify the ISO filename at the
end then.

I don't see how we can switch from file:// to dvd[nav]:// based on
file contents without reinitializing the entire stream layer.
That seems like a major rewrite.

> There is such a need in the GeexBox linux project, a wonderful ultralight
> media center which embeds (and promotes !) mplayer. It is getting
> more and more popular.

Patches are welcome.

Regards,
R.