[MPlayer-users] MPlayer OS X and the Apple Remote

Erik Hunger lanir at cisns.net
Sat Apr 26 13:06:32 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:19:33AM +0800, Ulion wrote:
> 2008/4/25, Robert Gutendorf <robert.gutendorf at gmail.com>:
> > Hey All-
> >
> >  I've searched the archives for an answer to my problem, but if I missed
> >  something I apologize.
> >
> >  When I start MPlayer OS X from the GUI I can use the apple remote just fine.
> >  But when I run the mplayer command from the terminal,  I am unable to use
> >  remote. Is anyone else seeing this problem?
> >
> >  MPlayer OS X (1.0RC2)
> >  OS X 10.4
>
> Where did you get the 1.0RC2 version of MPlayer OS X?, it is not
> public released indeed.

The software version referred to is the GUI version not the underlying
mplayer version. It's over at http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/ if you
wish to look at it but it hasn't been updated in almost 3 years. It looks
like the version of mplayer used in it is MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1

> any way, you can not let two mplayer running at the same time to
> support apple remote, only one of them will work.
> besides, you said 'run the mplayer command from the terminal', I guess
> the mplayer you runned is not same version with the OS X one, you can
> check the message head from the mplayer's output to see its version
> info. If you want to run same mplayer with the OS X one, you should
> find the internal path of the commandline mplayer inside the MPlayer
> OS X application and use that one.

Do a `which mplayer` to figure out which binary you're running from the
commandline. I think I have the package Robert was using installed. To use
that mplayer version the path would be something like this:

/Applications/Local/MPlayer\
OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer

I'm not sure it's worth using that particular binary anymore. I think it's
missing some security patches and it's seemed slower to me than more recent
builds on my machine but YMMV.