[MPlayer-users] Bug: Seek Fails at Telecine Boundary

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 24 11:33:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 09:56:29AM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008 13:53:50 Craig Milo Rogers wrote:
> > 	Using either MPlayer-1.0rc2 or the latest version from svn, a
> > seek (mplayer -ss secs) fails to perform properly if the mpeg file
> > being read contains a telecine block that the seek has to enter.

Since you did test with latest SVN why did you include the output of
rc2?!? I think that all the docs say quite clearly that reports are very
much preferred if not necessary against SVN (if such a comment is missing
somewhere please say so).

> >       Here's some output; it contains a few additional debug writes
> > I added to assist me in figuring out what's happening.  The subject
> > matter is part of Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Director's
> > Edition.  I originally noticed the problem when I tried to view
> > this movie using mplayer; outputting the frames as PNG files, as
> > shown below, was a change in operation I made for debugging
> > purposes.
> old problem: precise seeking in mpeg is impossible.
> Dvds (if played with dvd://, not with VTS_01_1.VOB)
> have some means to permit seeking with a  resolution
> of ~0.5  - 1 seconds, but nothing better than that is possible

This is not exactly the problem described, since no output frames are
written at all.
I would have guessed this is due to libmpeg2 messing up on framerate
changes which are typical for telecine, but that does not explain why
the problem is still there in SVN.

Reimar Döffinger

More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list