[MPlayer-users] Self compiled vs. distribution package - Huge difference

Peter Lemken df5jt at bloatware.de
Tue Apr 22 19:25:50 CEST 2008

Howdy,

I'd like to find out, why there is a big difference in performance between my
self compiled version of mplayer as compared to the distribution package.

I use Mandriva 2008.1, 2.6.24, Xorg 7.3, xf86-video-intel 2.2.1 (and 2.2.903)
on a Thinkpad T60 with Intel 945 graphics.

package:

rpm -ql mplayer

 Name        : mplayer                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0                               Vendor: Penguin Liberation
Front
Release     : 1.rc2.10plf2008.1             Build Date: Thu 14 Feb 2008
02:12:49 PM CET
Install Date: Sun 06 Apr 2008 04:21:05 PM CEST      Build Host: virgo
Group       : Video                         Source RPM:
mplayer-1.0-1.rc2.10plf2008.1.src.rpm
Size        : 10173036                         License: GPLv2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 14 Feb 2008 02:57:10 PM CET, Key ID
53dbb2a2caba22ae
Packager    : Götz Waschk <goetz at zarb.org>

compile:

Config files successfully generated by ./configure --enable-xvmc !

  Install prefix: /usr/local
  Data directory: /usr/local/share/mplayer
  Config direct.: /usr/local/etc/mplayer

  Byte order: little-endian
  Optimizing for: native

  Languages:
    Messages/GUI: en
    Manual pages: en

  Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: ftp pvr tv-teletext tv-v4l2 tv-v4l tv cddb cdda libdvdcss(internal)
dvdread(internal) vcd dvb network
    Codecs: x264 xvid libamr_wb libamr_nb libavcodec qtx real xanim win32
faad2 faac musepack libmpeg2 liba52 mp3lib libtheora tremor(internal)
    Audio output: alsa esd oss v4l2 mpegpes(dvb)
    Video output: v4l2 pnm png mpegpes(dvb) fbdev caca xvidix cvidix opengl
dga xvmc xv x11 xover md5sum tga

I was playing around with various xorg settings (EXA vs. XAA) to find the best
performance in compiz together with video playback, always using my self
compiled version due to its larger number of codecs. It was only when I tried
the packaged version that xvideo playback went smoothly both in full screen
and windowed mode.

The self compiled version eats CPU like mad with -vo x11 and -vo xv is totally
unusable, yielding 3 fps or so.

Any idea where this difference might have its origin? I'd like to try out -vo
xvmc with the new intel driver and the packaged version compes without xvmc
support.

TIA