[MPlayer-users] Tearing and VSync [WAS: Re: Mplayer picture question]

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 11:51:01 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:49:32 +0200
Martin Emrich <emme at emmes-world.de> wrote:

> I am quite sure that this is not possible with an nvidia graphics card
> (correct me if I am wrong),

mplayer -vo gl syncs to my TV quite well.  The timing isn't perfect
(with interlaced video/using tfields, with fast left/right scrolling you
get ghosts), but quite close. And its more than close enough for
progressive video.

> but what is the best recommended hardware for tearing- and
> artefact-free mplayer/ffmpeg output to a TV set (analog Composite
> video or soon via DVI/HDMI)?

If you don't mind reencoding to MPEG-2 on-the-fly, there are several
(mpegpes) cards that will handle the dirty details, and leave MPlayer
basically out of the loop.