[MPlayer-users] how to solve "too many video packets in buffer" while playing mpeg2 clip

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 21 00:53:50 CEST 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Hi, I was going to post a bog about this, but found many instances of
> people seeing the message (in various lists}, without much help, nor a
> permanent solution.
> =====
> Playing
> /home/media/ftpfs/home/bigdisk/media/dvb/program/proof_of_life.2007-12-30.20-33-58.sd_1.mpg.
> MPEG-PS file format detected.
> VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 3)  25.000 fps  9500.0 kbps (1187.5 kbyte/s)
> Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8273029 bytes).
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> A:2838.2 V:   inf A-V:   -inf ct:   -inf 70719/70720  0%  0%  0.0% 51 0
>
> Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8273029 bytes).
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> =====
> I have the clip that reproduces this, and was planning to use dd to trim
> the file down to a minimum fault case.
>
> Is that a reasonable way forward ?
> Should I be get a backtrace or strace ?
Is any of the above preferred way to a solution to this ?

My impression is that the inf, -inf text might be leading towards a bug
that needs fixing - at least the app shouldn't consume 100% CPU when
something goes wrong.

It would be cool if those errors were logged to the console and disk, so
that they were easily captured, and so that a create dialog/kill
dialog/create dialog flashing over the top of the playing clip did not
occur. That is, I would rather see packets dropped etc, and then some
reviewable log to find out why, rather than disrupting playback.

Even a summary at the exit of gmplayer like clip was 200 seconds long
and had 478 faulty frames would be handy.

DaveT.