[MPlayer-users] Mencoder without video, part 2

Christian Weiske cweiske at cweiske.de
Fri Apr 18 09:25:59 CEST 2008

Hello all,

Two months ago, the same question - without a direct solution - came up
on the list: How can use use mencoder to convert audio streams? [1]

The suggested solution was to just -dumpfile the stream to save it.
I've got the same problem, but since my task is different, I seek for a
different solution:

In my kitchen, I've got a Noxon iRadio which only understands mp3 and
ogg streams. The mp2 one from the satellite receiver cannot be played.

My satellite receiver (Dreambox 7025) streams TV and radio
programs (MPEG2/TS) into the network via http. I can play it from
mplayer without problems; it just takes some seconds until mplayer
recognizes the format (since it's the unmodified mpeg2 stream from
satellite I suppose).
Due to the missing headers(?), ffmpeg does not detect any format in
this stream, thus I can't use it for this task.

So, is there a way to use mencoder to convert that half broken mpeg2
audio stream into an mp3 or ogg stream?

[1]
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2008-February/071880.html

--