[MPlayer-users] Playing QHD (3840x2160) material with mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 17 16:05:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:15:38PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 April 2008 at 00:49, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:54:04PM -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > That is no surprise, xv (at least when using the default port) does not
> > > support RGB (though I am surprised it works at all, my nVidia card can
> > > only do at most a resolution of 2046 x 2046 with xv).
> >
> > You may have mis-understood me. The xv vs. x11 experiement I did above
> > was for HD video (smaller than 2046x2046), not QHD.
>
> I think Reimar understood that part correctly. Higher CPU usage with xv
> output is a result of software conversion from RGB (your material) to YV12
> (xv supported colourspace). X11 output supports RBG directly.

No, I did not read that the xv/x11 comparison was for a lower
resolution, and the "though I am surprised it works at all,..." part of
my reply was based on that misunderstanding. Everything else still
applies though.

> > Indeed, trying to use xv with QHD gets:
> >
> >    Source image dimensions are too high: 3840x2160 (maximum is 2046x2046)
> >
> > What do mean by the "default port"?
>
> It is common for video cards to have one true overlay port and a number
> of emulated overlays on other ports. See xvinfo output.

xvinfo also prints the maximum resolution, and the supported colour
formats. If you find one that supports QHD and/or RGB you should
probably try it, though it is likely to have the same problems as x11
(slow, no vsync...) trying can't hurt.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger