[MPlayer-users] mplayer on Solaris 10 x86 ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 10 17:50:14 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:42:59AM -0400, Robert Bradbury wrote:
> If this is going to remain true, there should be documentation, or warnings
> from the configure script that these flags are required to compile those
> specific modules

If you are using MPlayer rc2: Well, debugging is broken for that
version, you will have to use something newer.
If you have set your own CFLAGS: configure can hardly be more explicit
than this:

> MPlayer compilation will use the CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS set by you, but:
>
>     *** ***  DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF IT DOES NOT COMPILE/WORK!  *** ***
>
> It is strongly recommended to let MPlayer choose the correct CFLAGS!
> To do so, execute 'CFLAGS= ./configure <options>'

and this:

> 'config.h' and 'config.mak' contain your configuration options.
> Note: If you alter theses files (for instance CFLAGS) MPlayer may no longer
>      compile *** DO NOT REPORT BUGS if you tweak these files ***

> (otherwise one runs into the GENERAL_REGS problem.
> IMO, excessive emphasis has been placed on running videos fast at the
> expense of facilitating one debugging them.  One should be able to compile
> *all* of mplayer on a register shy machine and still get useful stack traces
> when it fails.

If you do not need MPlayer to be fast, use --arch=generic-linux or
similar.
And I _always_ build my MPlayer debug builds with -fomit-frame-pointer
and have never had any problem getting a stack trace, whereas when I
omitted it I had all too many case where bugs just went away, so
I honestly do not see the point, or more precisely I have never found
those special debugging options anything but _hindering_ debugging.
Anyway you can use --enable-debug and there will be no
-fomit-frame-pointer and to my knowledge it will still compile (using
SVN version).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger