[MPlayer-users] mencoder "cluster"?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:46:18 CEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:32:20 -0600
Richi Plana <mymplayer at richip.dhs.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know how DVD::Rip's
> <http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/cluster.cipp> clustering
> functionality work and how something similar (or the same) could be
> done using mencoder?

I imagine it just splits the video into chunks, and encodes
them independently on different machines.

You could do the same easily using something like avisplit to split the
file into however many chunks you have computers, and using ssh to copy
them over, and execute the mencoder command.

Though, to get full quality, you really need to run the 1st pass on a
single system (rather fast if using 'turbo'), then very carefully split
the file on what should be I-frame boundaries, and the divx2pass.log
file at the exact same frames as the file, then do only the 2nd pass on
seperate machines.

Personally, I don't think either is worth the hassle, unless you have a
large number of rather slow systems, and also absolutely require fast
turnaround of each individual video for some strange reason.