[MPlayer-users] Just copy trailers?

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Sat Sep 22 23:33:49 CEST 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007 23:10, Jack Smith wrote:
> On 9/22/07, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Jack Smith wrote:
> > > Is there any way to just copy the trailer of a DVD?  I'm interested
> > > in the trailer and tune for Gokusen (not that that matters).
> >
> > The closing credits (commonly called the ED).
>
> Closing credits are what I'm after in this case.

[..]
> > In most cases, all of these will be separate VOBs and separate titles
> > on the DVD; you will then just need to find the correct one and copy
> > that by whatever method you have chosen. (Since you're asking here, I
> > presume that you're planning to use MPlayer and/or MEncoder.)
>
> I thought of that, but it's not a separate title (I checked them all),
> just the tail end on another.

If you want some form of automation, you could try -vf blackframe and write
a script to parse its output. The rate of success will depend on whether
there are all-black frames between the movie and the closing credits and no
black frames within the credits and the movie (at least not near the end;
halfway the movie wouldn't matter if your script knows the length of the
movie). Have your script output an EDL-file and use that to skip the movie
part and only encode/copy the closing credits. I have no idea how good this
will work (if at all) but it might be worth a try. Otherwise, you have to
create your EDL file manually. See man mplayer for details
(-edl, -hr-edl-seek).

--Ivo