[MPlayer-users] Audio buffer overflow on raw audio file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Sep 19 10:29:45 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 09:06:30AM +0100, Mark Himsley wrote:
[...]
> ao_dsound: DirectSound initialized
> ao_dsound: Samplerate:48000Hz Channels:2 Format:s24le
> ao_dsound: Buffersize:288000 bytes (1000 msec)
> ao_dsound: primary buffer created
> ao_dsound: DirectSound uninitialized
> ao_dsound: cannot create secondary (stream)buffer (DSERR_CONTROLUNAVAIL)
> ao_win32: Samplerate:48000Hz Channels:2 Format:s24le
> ao_win32: Buffersize:288000
> ao_win32: format not supported switching to default

It seems the dsound driver is not able to do a fallback to a supported
format and probably your sound card driver like most today has only very
crappy waveOut support.
Try adding "-af format=s16le" to the commandline.

[...]
> [2] MPlayer suggests the MXF may be broken, although the mxflib tools seem
> to suggest it is ok.

MXFlib supports files that are far, far outside the specs, and many
tools that create MXF files are still based on very early drafts.
Some bugs of even the products from the bigger players were found with
the help of MPlayer's demuxer.
Please upload a sample to ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming if
you want us to see if we can easily support it.
Same for the wav file in case the tip above does not help.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger