[MPlayer-users] searching basic features

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 13:38:40 CEST 2007

Christian Buhtz wrote:

> The Wanderer schrieb:
>
>> As far as track position - I can imagine how that would be
>> implemented (if you mean "position in the track which was last
>> being played"), but I've never seen a player which did it.
>
> foobar2000 did this for example.

Never heard of it.

>> Depends what you mean by "global". Keybindings for when MPlayer
>> itself has focus can be configured in the input.conf file
>
> "global" means if MPlayer has no focus.

Then, if I'm not greatly mistaken, that's a window-manager issue;
MPlayer cannot take control of input if it does not have focus, any more
than any other program can

>> There is no "page" for that. Bug reports go here on this mailing
>> list, following the guidelines of DOCS/tech/bugreports.html (and if
>> you can't find that, you are probably not competent to submit a
>> usable bug report); feature requests also go here, unless you plan
>> to include a source patch to add the feature along with your
>> request.
>
> But how can I watch my bug-reports and feauter-requests if I put them
> on the list manualy? Watching the list? Oh no!

Oh - you were thinking of a bugtracker. Yes, there is
bugzilla.mplayerhq.hu - but how many people actually pay attention to it
I am not sure.

Watching the list does not sound like a hardship to me, but I'll admit
that many people might not have enough time to sift through the general
traffic if all they are interested in is one issue.

Do, please, be certain that you follow the guidelines in the
bug-reporting document I mentioned if you actually submit a bug report -
whether on the mailing list or on the bugtracker.

> What is about the bugtracking system provided by SF?

MPlayer does not have anything to do with SourceForge - AFAIK,
intentionally so.

Based on the fact that you A) appear to be assuming that the player is
inherently graphical and B) consider the features you describe to be
"basic", you seem to be operating on assumptions about what a video
player is and how it functions which are not compatible with the design
of MPlayer. I would not consider these features to be at all "basic"
(which I understand as meaning roughly "should be present in even the
most minimal player"), and some of them do not seem to even make sense
with a non-persistent-state, non-graphical program - which, at its core,
is what MPlayer actually is.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.