[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and DTS 5.1 (surround)

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Sep 14 21:08:45 CEST 2007

Nicolas George wrote:
> By default, mplayer tries to open the device "default" for 2 channels, and
> the device "surround51" for 6 channels (with a fallback to "default").
> Therefore, you just have to set up your .asoundrc so that surround51 points
> to hw:0.1.
>
> On the other hand, I do not see the need for -af channels=6: on my system,
> everything is fine without it.

now I (partially) remember, the correct command line is something like
-ao alsa:device=hw=0.1

And yes, I was able to play DTS 5.1 (from DVDs, no AVI though since I
never encountered them), but I mostly stay with AC3, as DTS still
sometimes has some issues and I don't bother inquiring them that much as
I should :(

Another thing, -af channels=6 was not needed for my on-board sound
solution (nvidia nforce4 ultra chipset, don't know the make of the sound
chip anymore), but due to a lightning stroke this thing gave up and now
I'm using a terratec, where -af channels=6 is mandatory, as otherwise
surround comes only from some loudspeakers, (IIRC rear right, front
right and center or whatever), and definitely not in the right order.

--
cheers,
Alex