[MPlayer-users] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Re IYUV fourcc

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Fri Sep 14 09:03:01 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Carl Eugen Hoyos
Sent: 13 September 2007 23:51
To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Re IYUV fourcc

> I don't think that's the point.
> Actually, on this list, full quoting (including long mail headers), not
using ">" for quotes is considered as rude as
> breaking threads (what I do myself from time to time, and you did it when
writing this mail) and that's something else
> than "generally not prefered" - at least IMHO.

> Except for breaking threads, you can and are expected to manually fix your
mails before sending to this list (and hope
> you don't get flamed;-)

Hi Carl,

Although this is off-topic in my opinion, in my opinion I'm entitled to
voice my opinion at least once (as is everyone else) and so I'll do.

I don't think much can be done to prevent "breaking threads" unfortunately -
even manually correcting the subject doesn't work on any of the mailing
lists I've tried it.

In general however, in my view it's stuck-up and self-righteous in the
extreme to behave so rigidly in defense of entirely unjustifiable norms.
Sure it's nice to receive all your emails arranged and formatted the same
way - it saves time amongst others. But when the mailing list carries only a
few tens of messages daily? To fanatically expect everyone to manicure their
messages to perfection and to vigilantly enforce that practice probably take
more time, energy and aggravation than you save.

To drift further off-topic, this topic originated from my use of MPlayer to
play high-quality full-motion Uncompressed (Raw) ASF screen captures made by
Windows Media Encoder. The specific resolution I'm capturing them in (800 x
600) is unplayable on my system by every single player (because they all use
the Windows infrastructure which has a bug at that resolution) and the
captures are only usable by VirtualDub-MPEG, which fortunately is where I
need them to be used. However, I had no way of checking captures before
processing them in VirtualDub, until I discovered that the only, THE ONLY,
player capable of rendering those captures is my MPlayer! Congratulations to
all on a job well done.

Kind regards,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html