[MPlayer-users] Encoding performances

Lucio lucio at sulweb.org
Mon Sep 3 17:05:24 CEST 2007

Hello *,

I'm new here. I plan to convert some SWF files (vector based) to mpeg4 or
other format fully supported by mplayer. My intention is to use the Adobe
Flash Player plug in to grab the frames and save them in one jpeg file each,
and then to use mencoder to convert the jpeg files to a movie.

However before starting this kind of work I'd like to know a few things about
mencoder and mplayer:
1. How long does it take approx to convert 30 seconds of jpegs into mpeg4 at
800kbit/s and 30 fps, using a fairly slow CPU (Via C7 1GHz)?
2. Assuming 30fps and 30 seconds I should have 900 jpegs. Assuming I have,
say, 1800 jpegs because the original swf had been made at 60pfs, is it
possibile to ask mencoder to drop 30 fps, which is one frame every two?
3. What's the best quality/speed/fps tradeoff to have a decent mpeg4 playing
smoothly with mplayer on a Via C7 1Ghz with Unichrome Pro IGP graphics
adapter, openchrome drivers at 1024x768x32?

Thanks in advance,
Lucio.

--
Virtual Bit di Lucio Crusca