[MPlayer-users] Tracking bug fixes

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 03:11:58 CEST 2007

Phil Rhodes wrote:

>> it doesn't take a software engineer to setup a build system
>
> Let's just accept that I feel it does and move on, eh?
>
> I could go buy Microsoft Visual Studio, but...

That wouldn't let you compile it anyway; Microsoft's compiler is not
compliant with the parts of the standard used by some parts of FFmpeg
(much of which is compiled inside of MPlayer), and is not supported (and
generally does not work AFAIK) for compiling either of them. To compile
MPlayer under Windows, it is recommended to install either Cygwin or
MinGW32 and compile using gcc. (I will admit that this is not a trivial
operation even for someone as comfortable with the general idea as I am,
but it is far from an insurmountable obstacle either.)

You are under no obligation to set up a build environment and compile
MPlayer, but if you do not, you will get limited support here on these
mailing lists and you will not be able to file a valid bug report if
you ever have need to.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.