[MPlayer-users] Mplayer playlist question

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 23:50:03 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Il Friday 19 October 2007 00:02:40 The Wanderer ha scritto:
>
>> (Nico, for future reference: please do not Cc: me on replies unless
>> you are specifically trying to draw my attention to a discussion
>> you do not think I will otherwise notice, because although the list
>> software is apparently smart enough to notice the Cc: and not send
>> me a duplicate copy of the message, that has the side effect that
>> the copy I receive does not have the correct Reply-To header set
>> and so I have to enter the list address by hand in order to not
>> reply privately.)
>
> sorry, I forgot to remove it. I was forced to use reply-all as
> default reply button because of the large number of ML I'm subscribed
> to that stubbornly (and intentionally) lack a reply-to header: their
> administrators believe that it's more a loss than a gain to
> subscribers, go figure...

I've had that argument more than once on bug-coreutils, and had the
beginnings of it on bug-bash a few weeks or so back. The only
hard-to-refute argument in favor of it I've ever seen is one which
assumes that it is reasonable for people posting bug reports or help
requests on a mailing list to not be subscribed to that mailing list;
this seems a somewhat dubious premise in some ways, but from a "make it
easy for the unfamiliar" perspective it's kind of hard to argue with.

Unfortunately, I am rather reluctant to engage in such discussion on
those mailing lists because it's heavily offtopic there, and there does
not seem to be any forum where it would both be on-topic and have any
chance of making any difference in the long run.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.