[MPlayer-users] Mplayer playlist question

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 00:02:40 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Il Thursday 18 October 2007 12:52:46 The Wanderer ha scritto:
>
>> Note: If you do want to use MPlayer as the playback program, you
>> will very likely need to make sure that the MPLAYER_VERBOSE
>> environment variable is set low enough to suppress all text output,
>>  or else whichever terminal you use to start moosic will see
>> repeated spew of the initial banner text. (Or, alternately, I
>> suppose it would work to simply start moosicd in a new terminal and
>>  then close the terminal...)
>
> or append -really-quiet

...I discounted that because the man page section on MPLAYER_VERBSOE
says that -really-quiet will not affect messages printed before the
command line is parsed, and the only thing I could think of which might
fall into that category is the initial banner - but you're right,
appending -really-quiet to a playback command line killed all text output.

In that case, I'm kind of confused; what messages might get printed
before command-line parsing takes place, if not the banner? Are there
even any such messages left?

If there are not, then the man page should probably be updated to
reflect the fact.

(Nico, for future reference: please do not Cc: me on replies unless you
are specifically trying to draw my attention to a discussion you do not
think I will otherwise notice, because although the list software is
apparently smart enough to notice the Cc: and not send me a duplicate
copy of the message, that has the side effect that the copy I receive
does not have the correct Reply-To header set and so I have to enter the
list address by hand in order to not reply privately.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.