[MPlayer-users] MPlayer on Solaris (Nevada, nv70) does not play VCD, DVD - iconv problem ?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 16 08:03:37 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:48:28PM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> Got my MPlayer from http://www.blastwave.org/
> It plays local files pretty well (as far as I can make out by now),
> but somehow fails to play vcd, dvd.
> Firstly, I googled for the UTF-8 to 646 conversion, but didn't find
> any good hint.

Looks like Solaris's iconv implementation does not match the system's
(horribly broken) locale charset names. But this is probably unrelated
to the crash, as it will happen if you try to play files too. It
sounds like you haven't used mplayer at all on this machine before so
you should probably try playing various other content and see if you
run into the same problem. If you care to fix the iconv problem I
might have some ideas...

Rich