[MPlayer-users] Slave mode - sub_select

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 15 04:48:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm attempting to use the "sub_select" slave mode command to select a
subtitle during playback on a -dumpstream'd DVD VOB. When I use the
following command to play the file manually, all is well:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>c:\mplayer\mplayer
f:\dvdtitle.vob -aid 128 -sid 1

...and I get the English subtitles.

However, mplayer seems completely insensible to sending sub_select in slave
mode - nothing I try has any effect and no subtitles are ever displayed. I
have tried sending "sub_visibility 1", and I may be wrong here in that the
documentation doesn't tell me what "on" and "off" are - I'm assuming 1 and
0, but I don't know for sure.

There is a curious symptom - when I play title 1 (which the -dumpstream'd
VOB represents) off the DVD directly, I can cycle through the various
subtitles using the keyboard shortcuts manually, and all is well. However,
while the commandline given above does play the English subtitles, using the
keyboard shortcuts to select another results in no subtitles ever being
available again - I can't even cycle back to English. I'm not expecting it
to be able to tell me which subtitles are which language at this point, but
I would expect to be able to cycle through them.

Is there some other command I should be using, is sub_select not meant to
work on DVD VOBs? Does it only extract the audio and subtitle streams I
specify when doing the -dumpstream? Again, any help much appreciated.

Phil