[MPlayer-users] Regarding subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Oct 13 23:13:30 CEST 2007

Phil Rhodes wrote:
> - Some DVD discs I've seen have fixed subtitles, which don't appear listed
> in the IFO but nevertheless exist in the VOB - they can be played by
> specifying an -sid even when  mplayer reports "no subtitles". Is there any
> way of forcing mplayer to report the existence of subpicture streams in VOBs
> even when they're not listed as subtitles in the IFO?

If you play back the video with -v, subtitles that appear later in the
video are printed out as:

==> Found subtitle: 4

But no language is given (of course)

On this behalf I have to add that one cannot always rely on the subtitle
information given in the IFO (or at least mplayer does not parse them
always correctly). There are some features I play back, where the
subtitles appearing do not match the language specified. I can't recall
any specific name right now, but there were some discs where e.g.
the following list was specified: en, en, de, tr, de, de, and the second
subtitle was instead a german, also the thrird. I didn't pay close
attention to it and never tried finding out what went wrong, but in the
future I'll post some here if it arises again...

--
Cheers,
Alex