[MPlayer-users] Transparent subtitles problems

Rob Quill rob.quill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:54:59 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I have been trying to transcode my DVD rips of season 1 of Ghost in
the Shell but when I try and play the vob file back before transcoding
it the sibtitles are displayed but they are transparent. That is,
there is the black outline, and some sort of black lines through the
middle of all the letters. What I would really like is filled white
characters, possibly with some black outline.

I am running Ubuntu Feisty 64-bit, and MPlayer version: "MPlayer
dev-SVN-r24076-4.1.2".

In my ~/.mplayer/config file I have:

font=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/impact.ttf
ffactor="0"

The command I used is:

mplayer GitS_s01.e01.vob -alang jp -vobsub subtitles -vobsubid 0
GitS_s01.e01.vob

Although I also just noticed that that does not play the audio in
Japanese for some reason.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob Quill