[MPlayer-users] DVD playing problems, recent releases.

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Oct 9 15:03:08 CEST 2007

Portset wrote:
> Thanks Charles they are recent Sony releases so this could be the problem.
> My difficulty is not being able to compile a version as you suggest.
> Is there anyone able to help me on this please.
> Regards
> Graham.

Although I don't have problems compiling a DVDnav version, I too would
be interested in a way how this is done properly, b/c at the moment when
using dvdnav, I'm not able to read the language information etc, while
they are presented very well with normal dvd read.

an example:
Playing a disc with dvd://
Playing dvd://1.
There are 22 titles on this DVD.
There are 3 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: cs
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: nl
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: fr
subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: el
subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: hu
subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: it
subtitle ( sid ): 7 language: pt
subtitle ( sid ): 8 language: es
number of subtitles on disk: 9
Selected DVD audio channel: 128 language: en

Playing the same disc with dvdnav://
Playing dvdnav://1.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.2.1cvs from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdnav: DVD Title: BUTCHCASSIDY_SUNDANCEKID_D2
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 34BA45D5
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): BUTCHCASSIDY_SUNDANCEKID_D2
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
'/home/alex/.dvdnav/BUTCHCASSIDY_SUNDANCEKID_D2.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00ed0000. Regions: 2 5
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
libdvdnav: Language 'en' not found, using '??' instead
libdvdnav: Menu Languages available: ??
INIT ERROR: couldn't get init pos New position not yet determined.
Remember to disable MPlayer's cache when playing dvdnav:// streams
(adding -nocache to your command line)
DVDNAV, switched to title: 1

I have external libdvdcss (2.0.8), libdvdread (3.2.1) , libdvdnavmini
(4.1.1) and libdvdnav (4.1.1) lying around in my /usr/local/lib

when configuring mplayer, I don't have do select anything out of the
ordninary.

What I miss is the merger between normal dvd operation and dvdnav (sans
menus, since I don't need them).

This means:

The output show be something like this:
Playing dvd://1.
DVD Title: BUTCHCASSIDY_SUNDANCEKID_D2
DVD Title (Alternative): BUTCHCASSIDY_SUNDANCEKID_D2
DVD Serial Number: 34BA45D5
Region mask 0x00ed0000. Regions: 2 5
There are 22 titles on this DVD.
There are 3 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: cs
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: nl
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: fr
subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: el
subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: hu
subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: it
subtitle ( sid ): 7 language: pt
subtitle ( sid ): 8 language: es
number of subtitles on disk: 9
Selected DVD audio channel: 128 language: en

I know that not all subtitles are found right away, there's still the
problem with my star wars DVDs (which have multi-angle and some
subtitles that don't show up on the initial list).

And again something completely different: why do I have to use -v to see
if a stereo channel is dolby or not, why can't this info be given
already at the listing (though I think this is not where it is readily
available) or at least, as it used to be ages ago, always also without
the -v switch... At least I'm interested in it...

--
cheers,
Alex